Sustainability is Woven into the Fabric of Our Company
Being a proactive and responsible corporate citizen is woven into the fabric of our company.
To solve our climate crisis and work toward a more equitable world, we believe that every person and every company must get involved. We are very aware of the negative impact manufacturing has on the environment and we’re committed to doing everything we can to not only mitigate this, but create programs and practices that better the environment, the lives of our customers and the lives of those that make our products.
Here’s what we’ve done - and what we hope to do:
Aligning with Like-Minded Partners
Pledge 1% for the Planet: we’ve committed to donate 1% of our annual profit to organizations that are experts in the global climate crisis. As we get more familiar with these organizations, we’ll select and donate at the end of each year.
Carbunfund.org: through our partnership with Carbonfund.org we’re able to offset all carbon that we omit when manufacturing and shipping. Currently, we invest all of our carbon credits into the SOMA III Wind Farm Project in Turkey where we manufacture our products. Here’s a bit more on this project:
- The Soma III Wind Farm Project is a large-scale wind project in Savastepe District of Balikesir Province and Soma District of Manisa Province in Turkey. The Soma III Wind Farm Project involves the installation of 50 wind turbines with a total installed capacity of 100 MW. The proposed project activity is estimated to generate approximately 280 GWh per year. The electricity generated will be delivered to the national grid via high voltage transmission line and the proposed project activity is estimated to reduce emissions by approximately 167,000 tCO2eq/year. The project has four certified sustainable development goals (SDG) impacts for: no poverty, clean water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy, and climate action.
We only work with partners who are equally committed to responsible manufacturing practices. All of our partners are OEKO-Tex and GOTS certified ensuring that they use only the best materials, free of chemicals, pesticides and residues. They work hard to conserve and reuse natural resources and are continually working to improve the manufacturing process to reduce waste.
Not only are they committed to protecting the environment, but they extend the same level of care to protect their employees. All of our partners pay above living wages, offer training and educational benefits and maintain extremely safe and healthy working conditions.
Women Supporting Women
As a woman led business, we seek out other small businesses led by phenomenal female entrepreneurs. From photography and web development to manufacturing and inventory preparation, we partner with women who know how to get it done.
Similarly, the Turkish manufacturing sector has historically been male dominated and focused solely on bottom line economics. We seek out manufacturing partners who want to transform this and we work directly with the women who are working to make it happen.
This is just the start, over the next few months, we will publish our sustainability goals, but in the meantime, here are some of the things we’re thinking about:
- Getting B Corp Certified
- Becoming Certified by Carbon Neutral
- Creating circular recycling programs to minimize waste
- Getting all of our products individually OEKO-Tex and GOTS certified
- Moving all product from 100% cotton to 100% organic cotton
Written By: Pine & Palm Home
Photography By: Greer Rivera for Pine & Palm Home